Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Winter
              Fragments

1. Sparrow

My bones
have become
winter’s branches;
no warm sparrow lands.

2. 8

The chill came to me on 8
                                              legs, & w/ spinnerets,
                                              wrapped me
                                              like a snack food fly.


3. Chalk

Winter’s fingertips
trace me

in police chalk.


     Diverging
And I see my reflection in glass,
and he is moving at an angle
away from me,

smiling, ‘cause his eyes still see
the possibilities like jacks tossed
from a little girl’s hand; and I see

my reflection, aquiline nose and pearly teeth,
and he is skilled, knows how to ride a horse
in a parade while dressed for a 19th century war.

And where did we diverge? I think.
and I want to call out “where did our lives diverge?
where did I go wrong?” but his moustache

shows no signs of silver, and this inhibits me,
and I see my reflection in glass, and he is moving
at an angle away from me. Mounted on a glorious steed;

tassels waving from his golden helmet, sword in scabbard,
and now, all I want is to say goodbye---too late! His reflection
has slid off the edge of the building, in a less painful direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment